Wednesday, March 9, 2011

We passed each other when the sky was pink

I once watched a boy run around the track. 

It was snowing outside so I huddled inside, tracing figure eights while talking on the phone with my sister.

I wasn't particularly attracted to him. And I doubt that I was the kind of girl he would like.

But lap after lap, whenever he would run around, we would just look at each other.

Sometimes he would smile, as if amused at the comment I made to Chelsea about freshman boys.

Sometimes I would nod, silently acknowledging his participation in my conversation. Or just his awesome neon shoes.

It sounds weird, but I think we could have been good friends.

But instead, because neither one of us said anything, we are reduced to hellos at random events that we both go to.

---

(photo cred: Missed Connections)

Have you ever had a "missed connection" with a stranger who you are sure would become a great friend if you had just commented on the stickers on his/her lap top? A whole ton of people on the New York metro have.  Check out this Missed Connection blog. It's absolutely beautiful.

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

I don't think you missed the connection yet! You just aren't brave enough :P.. being annoyingly vague

Jayne said...

I love that you read the missed connections blog too! I love it.