Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Easiest Question

Last night, I was interviewed by AMCHAM Shanghai (American Chamber of Commerce) via skype.

Luckily, they couldn't see how much my legs were shaking because the camera only locked in on my upper body. My apartment was just so darn cold.

Just when I thought that I survived the bulk of the interview, they warned me that they were going to enter into the "hard-hitting" part of the interview.

So with a brave smile and clenched fists (which thankfully they also couldn't see), I fielded questions on raw materials export restrictions in China, told them about the three main issues that riddle U.S.- Chinese business relationship (and I'm not allowed to mention Google!), and planned a hypothetical working group on wind energy development in China.

Surprisingly, I sailed through that part (sort of). And they looked impressed that I could even come up with a coherent answer. Apparently previous interviewees couldn't even tell them what newspapers they read daily.



Then with a smile, the lady asked me,

"What are your hobbies?"

I froze. Then slowly,

"Baking and reading?"

I might as well have told them that I am a cat lady and am scared to go outside in case I have to interact with people.

And yes. I posed it as an apologetic question. And I've been asking myself that same thing all night long.

I am forced to wonder: Am I a boring person? I'm passionate about my work and I love burying myself in the library researching. But twenty years later, when I want to take a break from my job, what will I have left that I love to do?

This is when I realized this: I love writing snippets that make people laugh. I obsess about traveling. I browse recipes in my spare time. And I collect personal items from different corners of the world.

But apart from that, what makes me me? What do I have that classifies as a bona fide "hobby" that is socially acceptable as "fun" and "interesting"?

I don't know. And honestly, that scares me.

4 comments:

Tammy said...

That's pretty great! Don't you worry, baking is totally vogue now a days! I'm sure you wowed them regardless. Love ya.

Andrew Woo said...

Haha that's funny because I've dealt with that same issue. But I've realized that we have lots to be proud of and many fun things that we do - you just need to think about what excites you. Hope all is well!

Chelsea said...

sounds like the interview went well! we need to talk! how long is this job? and don't give up on the idea of L.A send us your resume :D

Emma McPanda Imported from China said...

They will love you for sure!I thinking reading is a great hobby, so is baking....it's what i love to do, but i read so slowly.....