Saturday, March 19, 2011

Lost in Translation

Today, somebody told me,

"I ling long you."

I was oddly flattered.

Don't know what I'm talking about?

Watch this and then listen to this.

It definitely tops my personal list of the best (worst) Asian comments I've heard from my white friends.

----

On a slightly separate Asian note -

I've had two fortune cookies this week. (I love snacking on them because I've never seen them before in China)

My fortunes are:

#1 "Go to South Africa."

#2 "75,000 Asians die of Hepetitis B virus every year"

 So . . .  Go to South Africa and then die of Hepetitis B? Now I'm definitely stereotyping.

1 comment:

Marcindra LaPriel said...

This is now a roommate favorite for Crown #5. We laughed about it for a long time last night and today I text them, "Ching chong ling long ting tong!"

I got the reply, "I love you too!"

It was pretty great.

I'm GLAD you shared this.