Tuesday, September 28, 2010

LDS Feminism

I am Mormon. And I'm also a feminist.

My two identities do not contradict each other; instead, I am able to rejoice fully in the divine nature of my womanhood because I understand it within the framework of the Gospel.  Ultimately, the Church celebrates the beautiful synergy of man and woman. That is why you cannot attain the highest degree of glory without being in a healthy, loving marriage where both members are equal sovereigns.


But sometimes, when I talk about my feelings as a female in the Church, people hush me and say quietly that I better be careful because I'm started to sound like a feminist. Well I don't want to be silent anymore.

Feminism, the belief that men and women are equal, is a faith-affirming truth. Church leaders have repeatedly stated that men and women are equal but different. However, sometimes it is the lack of adequate discussion regarding this very difference that creates erroneous perceptions of discrimination against females in the Church or generates misplaced feelings of resentment among women. Faithful, righteous LDS women struggle because nobody has pulled them aside and told them that it is ok to ask questions about the priesthood or that it is normal to wonder if they can have a family and a career. They fall away angry and hurt not because they don't want to believe, but because they don't know how to believe and still be comfortable with their feminine identities.

Feminism is not, and should not be, a taboo topic within the Church. Instead, women should be encouraged to have open, honest conversations about what their femininity means to them and how to understand their roles within the greater Plan as mothers, daughters of God, and divine individuals.

3 comments:

Jeffrey Swindle said...

Sisi, this is right on. I think I have definitely been one of those to fall back in to LDS culture (not doctrine) and treat women as great supporters and not as equal partners, or as equal contributers to society. Boy (pun) is that backwards. I full-heartedly agree with you on this quote. Now, here are two things I invite you to do:
1. Check out my blog that I started tonight on gender equality at BYU
2. Come chat about gender roles in mormonism with us at 6 wednesday in the cougareat. Hwanhi will be there. HOpe to see you then!

Jeffrey Swindle said...

http://jeffreyswindle.tumblr.com/

tiger lily said...

I 100% agree. Because of the way my feminist mother raised me, I've never really had to think twice about my role as a woman in the church. I'm grateful for her example, and her faithful testimony of the priesthood and the gospel. I'm also grateful for taking after her in being blunt when others do not respectfully act on the principle of gender equality.
PS. USTR China office is so great.