Friday, September 24, 2010

Comparative Advantage

I spent four and a half hours on my econ homework today. And this was easier than my previous one.

In econspeak, this subject just isn't my comparative advantage.  While I'm furiously scribbling class notes, trying to breathe life into the PPFs and the indifference curves, the guy behind me keeps a running commentary on the professor's handwriting, poses and answers his own rhetorical questions, and chuckles at how easy this class is. The opportunity cost (OC) of me doing econ homework is so much higher than this slick-hair guy's. In that time, I could have written a political science paper, done my laundry, washed the dishes, blogged, baked some bread, ate said bread, and wrecked havoc in my room - all while watching a movie.

I bet that my friend Andrew Woo, econ guru slash TA, could even blog about this faster than I could. After all, all he would do is use the marginal product of labor and divide the beta by the alpha to obtain my OC of doing homework versus that of the commentary dude and then wrap it up with a clean relative supply/demand graph.

Piece of cake.

No comments: