Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Great Firewall of China

I'm not a facebook junkie or a blogging fiend, but when I went home to China for Christmas, I couldn't help but try to access these websites every other hour. Of course I knew that my attempts were futile. The Chinese government has been blocking these social networking websites for a whole year now because of last year's domestic political tensions. I suppose they are worried that millions of Chinese would log onto their facebook accounts and find an event invite to join a revolution or become converted to subversive causes over the blogosphere.

My 11 year-old brother Cody and I spent nights trying to get around the firewall. Apparently his international school even taught them how to use proxy websites in their computer classes. But alas, we couldn't overrun the Great Firewall of China - after all, it isn't named one of the seven wonders of the world for nothing.

No comments: