Thursday, March 18, 2010

Stalking myself

I read an article on NYT yesterday about how some MIT professors devised a computer program, compiling all your information they get from your social networking websites (i.e. facebook), and successfully predicted all nine digits of the social security number of 8.5% of Americans born between 1989and 2003.

Scary.

Then I read a blog post today about how employers are starting to google job applicants to see what kind of online reputations they have. So just out of curiosity, I googled myself.

Here's what I found out through my stalking:

*My address
*My phone number (from facebook!)
*That I was the only Sisi Messick in the US
*That one of my ancestor was a French Huguenot who came to MD in 1664
* A map pointing to Provo UT where I live
* That service apparently givees me a warm feeling

A background check company even offered to give "premium" information about me if I pay their rate.

Ugh. Makes me want to get off all online stuff. But the ironic thing is that the first thing I do is write about all of this on my blog.

I guess I just saved you time. You don't have to stalk me anymore.



1 comment:

njcrofts said...

Now I'm stalking myself too. Haha. Apparently I work in hospitality in London... I wish.