Friday, December 11, 2009

I'm already twenty and a half! (and behind the game?)

I am stressing out. You may point to my piles of papers to write, finals to study for, and a messy room to clean as the reasons. No, those concerns of mine pale in comparison to this one. Yeah, I'm stressing out about the idea of retiring.

People say that you need to start saving/ investing young, and as soon as possible to accrue interest. Recently, I've been hearing the time value of money ticking ominously over my shoulder. I spent two hours yesterday skimming through various mutual funds trying to figure out which one will be the best for my retirement needs. Or rather, retirement wants. I want to travel around the world (but hopefully I can do that with my husband and children while we're all still young), to have a library in my house replete with the swinging ladder showcased in Beauty and the Beast, to have people over for dinner every week, to serve missions, to sponsor children in China to get their education, to work for free at an NGO . . . and the list goes on.

Sighing, I went over the various mutual fund prospectuses over and over again. Maybe I should also look into college funds for my kids while I'm at it.

No comments: