Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Politics of CC



I casually glanced at the sent column of the email I had just received.

My head rocked backwards. I squinted and checked again to make sure that I saw what I saw.

The sender/colleague had a gift in wrecking havoc through disseminating conspiracy theories at the office. Everything he touched was poisoned by whispered rumors and wild intepretations of management intentions. Remember the contact list fiasco? That was completely him.

Well, he also firmly believed in the "political correctness" of the order in which you list the email recipients. He always made sure to arrange recipients in hierarchical order - not necessarily according to the org chart, but according to his perceived level of importance/ power within the company. Of course, he also painstakingly analyzed other people's sent column order and then deduced their allegiances.

And today, I finally knew where I stood in his books. He had bumped me up three spaces from my usual spot, ahead of key people who were technically higher than me on the org chart.

I don't know what bothers me more: The fact that I know there is a meddlesome deliberateness behind it or that I noticed and care enough to blog about it.

Either way, I guess I'm moving up in the world.

No comments: