Sunday, March 4, 2012

Pinterest Illusions

 

Welcome to Pinterest. You see something you like on the internet and you pin it to an online clipboard that you can share with others. So simple huh?

Because of that, I've now become an image hoarder. DIY paper mache lamp shades that seem like a fire hazard? Flower hair clips made from retired nylon stockings (hopefully washed)? Vintage-inspired photo frames where the photos are just there to emphasize the frames? All pinned. I will never make any of these, because, by virtue of pinning them to my clipboard, I feel like I've actually made them already.

In some ways, pinterest is also a glimpse into another person's relationship status. Even though I live half a world away, I know when girl A is starting to get serious about the boy she is dating. I see the rings, the bouquets, the wedding decor  . . . and I wonder if I should speak up about her choice of bridesmaid dresses. Pretty soon, Miss Manners will need to start a column dictating the rules of online faux pas. She can use me as an example.

A former boyfriend also pins. His "For her" board correlates with nothing in my current or future closet. Aha. I knew that when he complimented my outfits as "interesting," it probably wasn't the good kind. But it also made me sad when he unceremoniously deleted our collaborative board. It was like putting down a stray cat that we both fed from time to time. That's why I will never have pets.

Pretty soon the BYU career center will write a blog post about crafting the perfect pinterest image for prospective employers. They'll encourage images like professional work suits, favorite take out food for the daily OT, and cookies to bring to the company Christmas party.

Umm. I better tone down my long socks fetish and delete my "Vacations to take this year" board.

What are you pinning?

No comments: