Thursday, January 31, 2013

Party in the PRC

Before Chinese New Year, all the restaurants are booked up, busily serving ten course meals, wine and tired smiles to employees who get to party on company dime.

It's becoming a booming industry across China too. Employees of big corporations are starting to hire professionals for scripts and acting coaching to perfect their company plays. The local radio plays success testimonials from individuals who transform themselves from what's-your-name-again to you-did-that-cool-magic-trick-come-with-me-to-a-sales-call by creating a career-launching impression on their bosses at the annual party.

At our little startup, we don't face that kind of pressure, but we still bring our A game to the celebration.


Girls clock out on average two hours earlier than the guys. 
And yes, top left corner is our resident part-time model slash receptionist. 


You need a gorgeous MC when there's a five hour program.


Magic shows. 
Never quite understood the significance of a piece of unbroken string.


We dress up quite a bit for company parties.
And somehow, I find all my costumes just by rummaging through my closet. 
That's why I don't have a fashion blog. 


That's my beau in the play.
And she's wearing two rolled up napkins and a paper crown while wooing me Gangnam style.
I'm telling you. It takes a lot to impress me.


Three of the performances involve transforming a man into a woman.


. . . and we're not even in Thailand.


This is the moment when my boss announces a 10% raise for everybody.
Best indication that our startup is doing fantastic.
I'm celebrating by planning a trip to SE Asia in April. 


 Somehow nobody else interprets "act crazy" as choking your team member. 
And this is the one sent to all the investors.
It's all about making an impression right?



1 comment:

Chelsea said...

wow looked like an awesome company party!