Thursday, April 12, 2012

Being a Lesbian and a Mormon

It's hard, but it's possible.

-----
I lived in the same hall as Bridey in my freshman year. Her room was several doors down from mine. She hung back most of the time. One night, in celebration of our Christmas countdown and several girls' first kisses, my roommates and I pounded on every door in that hall, pulled out mattresses into the hallway, pulled on our jammies, cranked up the music, and just danced. We dragged Bridey out too. She just watched. Later, exhausted but excited with the 3 a.m. glow, all of us sat cross-legged on the mattresses, and talked. I tossed my head and laughed at some story my roommate told me, and happened to see Bridey out of the corner of my eye. She sat, silent, but her eyes lit up. I think that was the first time I saw her happy and content.

I didn't realize, until last night when I stumbled upon an article about a gay students panel at BYU, what Bridey was struggling with at the time.

I won't comment on what I feel about lesbianism and Mormonism because it's not my place to casually blog about an issue that is very personal to each individual. But I hope that you will take a moment to allow Bridey to share her thoughts. She has showed how she is trying her best to reconcile her faith and her personal challenges because she believes in a God that loves each and every one of His daughters equally.

Bridey has been silent, but she is silent no more.




* China's censorship firewall has been stricter the last couple of days, so if you can't see the video on top, then click here for Bridey's point of view.



No comments: