Sunday, April 24, 2011

Graduation Karma

As I stood in line at the Honors graduation banquet, I snickered at the thought of somebody tripping at the makeshift stairs. It just seemed like a movie-like moment that every graduation should have. My vote was for the girl with the ankle-length maxi dress.

She sailed right through.

And then it was my turn.

I walked confidently up the steps in my nude Nine West pumps. 

All of a sudden, my right foot felt cold. And it hit further down than it should.

I was momentarily confused. Shauna, the lady reading out the names of the graduate, gasped, "her shoe!"

I looked back. My right shoe was caught and I had left it behind.

After edging back down the steps and putting it back on, I smiled as big as I could and walked back up again as if nothing had happened.

The Honors program director squeezed my hand and whispered, "Congratulations, Cinderella."

I could have died.

--

Afterward, Casey proudly showed me the camera in his hand. He had videoed the entire thing.

Better yet, news reached my parents fast, and my mom left a voice mail saying, "We are so proud of you, Cinderella-graduator."


My feelings about karma has not changed.

----

On a separate graduation note, remember how I wondered about the whole throwing-your-cap myth?

Well, it actually happened.

Except, when the photographer told us to remove our caps and throw it up in the air, I had to frantically take out all the bobby pins securing my cap to my hair.

And I missed it.

So, I did my own.

3 comments:

Marcindra LaPriel said...

My number one regret for graduation: not throwing my cap.

But I didn't see a good opportunity, so I guess I'll just have to get a masters.

And just so you know, the word verification for this post is "munglys"

melbel said...

You are such a clever writer! Hope you don't get teased too much for the cinderella shoe. That's a classic story though! At first I thought you were going to be the one that fell on your face. Glad it wasn't worse!

Emma McPanda Imported from China said...

haha, this is funny, Sisi, i missed those moments!!!:(