Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Dreaming of Kanas

I just want to forget about the four midterms I have this week, the honors thesis that I've been meaning to work on, and the portfolio that I need to hand in next week. Normally during times like these, I dream about going away. Anywhere. Preferably somewhere where people do not speak English and will not ask me about my thesis (by the way, it is not a good conversation starter).

Even though I'm heading to Eastern Europe in two weeks, all I can think about right now is Kanas, Xinjiang.


When she didn't have enough change for my one kuai snack, she rummaged through her cupboard and stuffed these chalk pieces into my hands. She motioned for me to eat it. I did. It tasted like chalk. 
Apparently that's their sweet milk candy.

 




A shaman inside told my mom that I would bring good
fortune to my whole family. 
My mom and I were pretty touched.
He even gave me a dragon tooth charm.


The ancient Mongolians would touch these cloths for the blessings that they wanted: 
white for longevity, red for courage, blue for wisdom, and yellow for peace.



I don't know why, but this is one of my favorite photos by far. 
Perhaps it's because everybody laughed when I asked to take his photo.
Even he seemed shocked and unsure. 
After I showed him the photo, he straightened his back, ran his fingers through his hair, and smiled.


1 comment:

Chelsea said...

The more you talk about this I wish I was there! TO meet my apparent heritage!