Thursday, November 5, 2009

The law of attraction

I'm considering going to law school so I've been to quite a few pre-law events recently. I can't help but notice that these events generally attract certain types of personalities. At the risk of offending some die-hard future lawyers (Andrea!), I present to you my shameless stereotypes:

1. THE GUNNERS
Slick hairdo combined with ultra shiny shoes and a legal note pad in one hand. They raise their hands several times eagerly to ask "out of the box" questions but somehow just seem to annoy the heck out of everybody else. I really don't know why but whenever they speak, others in the room just tend to roll their eyes. You get the sense that they would climb on top of you if it means getting up the rankings just one more notch.

2. THE WIVES/ GIRLFRIENDS (AKA CHEERLEADERS)
The Harvard dean of admissions came to speak at BYU and there were probably around 90 people in the room. I counted 13 girls. 6 of whom I was pretty sure were there accompanying their bf/husbands/fiancees. Whenever somebody brought up how hard it was to get into Harvard, this girl in front of me would whisper (what I imagine to be) sweet nothings in her husband's ear to encourage him. It must be nice to be so supported.

3. THE TOURISTS
They are just shopping around for law schools. Not a single clue which one's better than the others. Just know that Harvard is probably somewhere up there after watching Legally Blonde. Probably just woke up one morning and said, "I think I'm going to go to law school." I know I did.

4. THE REGULARS
Your standard law buffs. Not quite as die-hard as the gunners but more serious than the "tourists". They feel that they are meant for law school and will work hard to get in, but probably not break their backs doing so. They appreciate the pizza at the events as much as the speakers. Generally nice, down-to-earth people.

Here are some photos just in case you haven't figured out which type I think I am:


Me playing the tourist in front of the Supreme Court



Dressing up as the Supreme Court Justice!




2 comments:

Unknown said...

The only offense thing about this post was that you called me a "die hard future lawyer." :)

Chelsea said...

haha I like your observations. Cute pictures!