Saturday, June 20, 2009

The center of the universe





Last week we got to go to the Capitol and spend an hour with Congressman Jim Matheson (Utah Democrat). He was a great speaker and made me think that maybe I can be a Democrat and yet still stand for fiscal conservatism, among other things that conform to my religious beliefs. Afterward, my friend Jason used his special connections (aka his Senator Hatch intern badge) to show Andrew and I around the Capitol.





Since we didn't have much time, we just poked around a little bit. Below is the site where they were originally planning on burying George Washington (if what I remember is correct):



He even took us to the underground tunnels where we were able to ride the trains that are only reserved for people who work on the hill. Needless to say, I was easily impressed.

The streets in D.C. are laid out in quardrants with the Capitol building as the center of the city. Jason, Andrew, and I located the very central spot of the building and got to stand on top of it. Guess which foot is mine? P.S. the swelling has gone down, thank you.



For an instance while my foot was on that spot, I felt powerful.

No comments: